How much should a new Air Conditioning unit cost?
The general range that homeowners can expect to pay for a new Air Conditioning system is between $2,500 and $4,500. However, the price can even go as high as $8,500 or more for a deluxe AC unit fully installed by a reputable dealer.
Factors that affect the price of the AC unit:
There are two main factors that affect the price you can expect to pay:
1 – Size
The larger your home, the more cooling power you will need. Cooling power is often measured in tons, and,1 ton is 12000 BTU (British Thermal Units). Smaller AC units can be as low as 18000 BTU, for smaller homes, and up to 5 tons or 60000 BTU for large homes. Correct sizing of your air conditioner to match your home is critical for achieving comfortable temperature and humidity levels. Oversizing an air conditioner will result in a home that feels cold and damp, whereas under sizing the air conditioner will result in high electricity bills, shortened lifespan of the equipment and a house that will not cool down enough when it gets hot outside.
2 – Efficiency
The efficiency of an AC unit is measured in SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the unit. In Canada 13 SEER is the minimum efficiency you can buy, 16 SEER is a good balance of unit price versus efficiency but you can go up to as high as 23 SEER. Air conditioners over 19 SEER are usually equipped with an inverter compressor, offering superior energy savings and maximum comfort compared to a single stage air conditioner, or even a two-stage air conditioner. If you are considering buying a top of the line AC with an inverter compressor you will usually have to invest in a new furnace too, unless the one you already have is the correct match for the new air conditioner.
Installing a new AC unit is not for do-it-yourselfers. There are a lot of places you can go wrong installing an AC without having the proper training and tools for the job. Questions to consider when installing a new unit should include:
- If you are replacing an existing AC are you installing new copper refrigerant lines? A new air conditioner should include new copper tubing for the refrigerant. If the existing lines must be reused, they need to be flushed with a cleaning solution and tested for any existing leaks using high-pressure nitrogen gas.
- Do you need ductwork? In order to install a central air conditioner your home must already have a duct system, but if not, there are ductless air conditioners on the market these days and they are quickly gaining in popularity.
Most air conditioning manufacturers offer a 10-year parts warranty if the unit is registered within 60 days of installation. For a cost of approximately $400, it may be a good idea to invest in an extended warranty that has you covered for 10 years on labour charges. This extended warranty offers you complete protection (with required preventative maintenance). The best thing about investing in the extended warranty is that you don’t have to worry about any unplanned expenses on your new air conditioner for 10 years.
If your Air Conditioner or Furnace are causing you any concerns, it’s time to call on one of our fully licensed technicians to help you with your HVAC needs. Contact Twintech Heating & Cooling at 1.844.894.6832 for professional assistance if you are looking to repair or replace your air conditioner or furnace.
See What Our Customers Are Saying:
This company is fantastic. Dave came out and gave me a very honest and reasonable quote, unlike a quote received from another company. I had a bunch of questions that were easily answered and when I had questions regarding heating/cooling a previously unheated room above the Garage, Dave arranged for Greg to come out for an assessment of this new space and gave me his recommendation along with his professional thoughts on all of my options.
These guys have been nothing but Professional, honest and helpful along the way. I can't recall the two other guys doing the install, but they were great as well. Good workmanship, everything was cleaned up and everything functions as promised. I could go on and on about my experience, but it's all positive so what more could you want?
Give them a call, see for yourself. If I had to buy another furnace/AC or heat pump, they'd be my first call.
I hired twin tech to convert my townhouse heating from electric to gas and install a furnace and a/c unit. I had talked with many other vendors, and received several quotes, but chose them, and very happy I did. Here are some of the reasons why:
1. They were realistic about the timeline for the work, when they could start and how long it would take. (They said upfront, it was their busy season and would need to get back to me in 3 weeks, which they did):
2. They had a quote with options for me. They were clear about the entertainment of what they would and would not do (they’d build duct work, id need another contractor to box in ductwork). This allowed me to plan as I was my own general contractor for my renovations).
3. They spoke to me in a language I understood, neither too technical nor too simple. They answered all my questions as I had them. Everyone is so lovely to work with, the sales team and the contractors who are worked in my home.
4. It’s been 4 m since the work was complete. They still answer my emails and my furnace is working very well!
I unabashedly recommend! Price, customer care and quality workmanship were all amazing!
On one of the coldest days of winter, our furnace stopped working. Our regular furnace company came and told us we had a CO2 leak and shut us off. Their quote for a new furnace was way too high and they couldn't even install it on the same day. TwinTech was recommended to us by a friend. We called and spoke to Dave who was very nice and knowledgeable. Grant showed up a short time later and a new furnace was installed the same day with no troubles at all. Best of all, we received a higher-end furnace than what was offered by our previous company and at a cheaper price. I would recommend TwinTech with no hesitation at all.
I installed a new furnace and Air conditioner with them. The installation is of high quality and according to standards. The guys are professional and reasonably priced.. I highly recommend them.
Had new furnace installed and ran into some difficulties but the contractor responded in a timely and efficient manner - after further service calls were made, a reasonable resolution was found.